Saturday, November 3, 2007

Fancy feet

Embossed Leaves socks by Mona Schmidt, from the 2005 Winter issue of Interweave Knits.

embossedleavessocks
These are the only lacy socks I've ever knit.

I knit them 2 summers ago, on the drive up to see my parents in New-Brunswick. I remember enjoying the relatively easy pattern, but being bummed that I had to keep the magazine handy and my eyes on my knitting instead of on the scenery. This in part explains why I haven't knit fancy socks since.

The other reason (and I've mentioned this before) is that I have a bit of a thing with wearing such delicate things on my feet. I do occasionally wear them, but I always hesitate before pulling them out of my sock drawer, wondering if this day "merits" decadent socks. The plus side is they're still in very good shape, so they'll be around for a while.

I see all your breathtaking sock creations out there and I yearn to have my own pair of Bayerische or some Highland Scottish Kilt Hose. But I just can't seem to quit my plain-Jane workhorses. They keep my hands and heart happy at the doctor's office, on a long drive, or when watching an exciting Hockey game.

Are there any type of knitting you avoid, even though you love the result?


0 comments: