Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sweet mailbox, part 3—the knitting intervention edition

malabrigo frank ochre
One of the funniest, most generous and talented knit bloggers out there sent me an awesome gift.


Heather's gift
There's a bit of a history with me and this yarn. Several years ago I purchased several skeins of Malabrigo lace in Frank Ochre to knit an exact copy of this. I promptly LOST THE YARN somewhere on the streets of Manhattan. I was heartbroken. Heather got wind of this, and because she is oodles-of-awesomeness wrapped up in a beautiful bundle, she pillaged her own (no doubt well-stocked) precious collection of Malabrigo. How sweet is that?

But I can't help but think that perhaps it's her attempt at staging some form of knitting intervention. And who could blame her?

"Hello, my name is Nicole, and I am a neutral knits addict."

I do tend to get a little monochromatic. How many garter stitch beige/greige/grey items can one knitter knit? Apparently, a lot.

woodland scarf leaf detail
But look: a lace pattern. In a bright colour. I know. The first step is acknowledging that you have a problem, right? Thank you Heather!!!

She also sent me another jeweled beauty, but I'll save that for the last installment of "Sweet mailbox—the intervention edition"


21 comments:








Kim

said...

Hey! What's wrong with greige? Although... This is a pretty departure. I would love to see a photo of Heather's stash. I have visions of it in my mind. It looks like a yarn shop.





Rebecca

said...

I have loved that color for a long time, too! What a gorgeous pattern to use it on. It will be enjoyable watching it unfold on your blog, and tempting too!





dandelionpicker

said...

Wow that's gorgeous! And I love the color too!





The A.D.D. Knitter

said...

So glad you like it! And you completely deserved to be spoiled with day after day of great mail:)

Also--KIM you can look at my stash anytime on teh RAV. But because I know you know me, you'll know that it only contains a fraction of the real deal;)





michele

said...

i think i remember when you bought the original malabrigo - or something else close to this color. but hadn't realized you lost it. how heartbreaking - but now with a happy ending via a generous friend.

after a crazy swing through a year of color knitting i've returned to neutrals too - except for gift knitting - that always seems to be in color. anyway the color and the pattern look beautiful.





Unknown

said...

that is a beautiful colour... beautiful.

And pattern too.





Unknown

said...

That's one hell of a color!





craftivore

said...

How sweet of Heather! The universe is being very good to you these days. I love Frank Ochre, it's such a weird lovely color and your middle photo is so beautiful.





t does wool

said...

nicole...oh,my...what a gorgeous color..
and such a beautiful knit...





Anonymous

said...

I've been working on getting out of my blue-green-purple thing. Suddenly there's a lot of red in my stash!





Linda

said...

Beautiful yellow to cheer up our day! Lovely parcel, how lovely.





evergreenknits

said...

Wow, what a color! I usually don't like yellows (everything I knit is generally neutrals or a bit of green) but there is something magnetic about that one.





julie

said...

from one grey/beige lover to anther... whoah! i love this color and what a fab pattern to boot. great story... if anyone deserves it, you do :)





Margie Oomen

said...

that color is brilliant





a friend to knit with

said...

oh, i love that story... heather is so great!!!

love that you got it.. and that pattern is awesome.





melissa

said...

that is one beautiful yarn... and i adore that pattern, too! you have the best taste in knits.





brooke

said...

beautiful!





juicyknits

said...

Just stumbled upon your blog via Ravelry. Wow, that yellow is worth giving up all the greys of this world. :)





Sarah @ Knit York City

said...

I need a knitervention too! I am all about monochromatics!!!

You have a lovely friend to replace your Malabrigo! That stuff is heaven.





Sandra

said...

How wonderful of her! And it's a wonderful color!





eliza

said...

there's something irresistible about the yellow of frank ochre. it's so cheerful and friendly with the perfect mustard undertones. i'm totally a sucker for it. excited for this knit, as much as i love what you can do grey!