Saturday, August 16, 2008

IIIIII love New Yoooooork...

Gird your loins chickadees, this is going to be a long one.

NYC was super fantastic, as always. Thank you SO much for your great suggestions. We ended up rambling around, doing our little thing, not taking ANY photos (I know, bad blogger!), but just soaking it all in. Unfortunately, I can't show you the Viewmaster in my mind. But I'd have to say this was one of our best trips ever. This girl couldn't ask for a better traveling partner. Not just on our trips, but everyday life. I am incredibly blessed. I love you chou. Happy anniversary!

Some of the highlights, in case you'll be in NYC soon:

- Louise Bourgeois at the Guggenheim
- Henry Darger at the Folk Art Museum. Along with Darger's amazing and unsettling work, the show featured other artists that were inspired by him, and I was particularly taken with the work of these two women:
Robyn O'Neil and Amy Cutler
- Mark Rothko and Joseph Beuys at MoMA
- Turner at the Met

If you're hungry:
- Order the incredible grilled corn at Café Habana
- Go to carb heaven at Po. Delicious, romantic, not too spendy.
- Best. Pizza. Ever. at Una Pizza Napoletana. A bit pricy for 'za, but TOTALLY worth it.
- Yummy comfort food can be found at Bubby's. Harvey Keitel can also be found there (we ran in to him right outside. He looks a LOT better in person than you would imagine).

If you have a little fun money in your pocket, go to:
- Downtown Yarns (thanks Mary Jane), a totally delightful, friendly and beautifully stocked yarn store. I bought many lovelies there, but sadly, I suffered a tragic loss. I left my shopping bag somewhere, and lost some REALLY nice yarn. We're talking Malabrigo laceweight nice. Blue Skies Chunky Alpaca nice. KOIGU nice!!! Frankly, it's too soon to talk about it. So let's move on.
- Don't like to put petroleum crap on your face? Korres on Wooster in Soho has yummy, natural face products.
- If you'd like to go back in time, visit Tender Buttons, a teeny store packed with the most beautiful buttons ever. I brought back some lovelies:

Pearl&hornbuttons
Mother of Pearl and horn buttons


bigebonybutton
Huge ebony button



I also bought some gorgeous Nani Iro fabric at Purl Patchwork.

naniiro
I think I might make a kimono-style bathrobe with it.



And finally, you probably would like to see some knitting, wouldn't you?
Alrighty then, introducing:

What took me so long? Part 2

Blanketonchair
"Holy-crap-it's-freezing-in-the-office" Lap Blanket

Pattern: Felted Saddle Blanket from Greetings from Knit Café.
When I first bought this book, I thought, who the hell has a horse to knit this for? But then I stopped to look at the darn thing, and thought lap blanket! It's perfect.
Yarn: Noro Kureyon # 150, 14 skeins, bought on SUPER sale.
Mods: I didn't felt mine. It's warm enough as it is.

Kureyonblanketclose
So cozy!

Noroblanket
This mo has been in my wips basket for ever! The 18 hours of driving to-and-fro NYC helped me polish this baby off.

Noroblanketclose
Hope you all have a lovely weekend! I'm off to see Sarah Harmer at the Ottawa Folk Festival. Of course, I'll be bringing my knitting...


0 comments: